Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Weirdest blog post ever. I blame the lack of sunlight.

I hope you're sitting down.


That, my friends, is a blue sky.

There were tears of joy this time. And then a whole lot of sitting by the pool soaking up the vitamin D.

You know how when it rains in St. George people go outside and watch it? Dinner is boiling over on the stove and you stand on your porch and watch the rain, even run around in it like a cretin. You don't want to miss it because it only happens like three times a year. Am I the only person who does this?

That's how I felt when the sun came out yesterday. I took a PICTURE of the BLUE SKY.

I even waxed poetic. Now you'll need to use your imagination here - picture me in a black turtleneck and a black beret standing on the stage of a Seattle coffee shop (at which I ordered a pastry, because you know me - love a good pastry). I tap on the microphone and announce the following:

"Retinal Damage, by Elise Haynes."
(I'd pause here to wait for the spontaneous applause to die down.)
"The Sun.
You make it warm enough to swim.
Mangos and melanoma and mung beans would not grow without you.
You are sort of yellow, but I can't be sure because I cannot look directly at you without you causing damage to my retinas..."

(Pause here for dramatic effect and to sneak a bite of my pastry.)

"...but you are worth permanent retinal damage."

Then I would receive a standing ovation and people would shower me with pastries.

If I learned anything from Dixie State College it's that good poetry doesn't always rhyme but it unfailingly includes alliteration. Not many edible plants contain the letter M, making alliteration a challenge in this poetic circumstance, but I pulled through like any good poet.

Man, I love sunshine.

In closing, here is a rainbow I saw at Snoqualmie Falls on our Sunday drive.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

No comments: