Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Butta' Yaki!


Confession time: my family is addicted to fried food. Our latest addiction is this blessed stuff called Butter Yaki, which was introduced to us by our neighbors, Lopaka and Mandy. Here's what it is: you take a bunch of foods that start out healthy, like zucchini and halibut--then you fry them in butter. And then you dip them in this amazing sauce which is composed mostly of sugar and salt. Oh, and fat. It's delicious. It's just like eating at Samurai 21 for dinner, only no one throws a shrimp at you. And you don't have a bunch of weirdo srangers at your table, although I'm sure you could arrange that. Why do they insist on throwing the shrimp at you, anyway? Is it to prove that they are amazing chefs? We know that. I think that it's a Japanese inside joke. Like they're all sitting around sipping their sake going, "stupid Americans. Ha ha. Here-- catch shrimp!" I have both eaten the thrown shrimp and dodged it. To be honest, I feel better about myself when I dodge the shrimp. Sometimes I try to catch it if it looks like the chef doesn't have it in for me. I like it when they ask. "Would you like me to lob this flaming hot, butter-covered shrimp into your face in front of a restaurant full of people?" Why, YES!!


So we made Butter Yaki for our friends Chad and Rachel the other night and Rachel suggested that I post the recipe on my blog. So here it is. Lopaka, if this is a family recipe that has been a secret for the last five generations, I'm sorry. You can take comfort in knowing that only two people look at my blog.



Butter Yaki

1 cup soy sauce
1 cup sugar
3/4 water
1 T sesame oil
3-5 drops Tabasco
1 quarter-sized piece of ginger, peeled
2 T toasted sesame seeds


Bring first three ingredients to a boil. Add last four ingredients. Turn heat to low. Serve with rice and all manner of meats and vegetables fried in butter.


Be careful, it goes right to your Butta. Tee hee...


1 comment:

Rachel Smith said...

Yum Yum...I like butta! Thanks for the recipe...I will send all inquiries your way!