Saturday, July 14, 2012

So you're telling me there are no security provisions on this rotary phone?!

I bought our plane tickets home this week. Where is the summer going?!

Where did this week go?!

We went to this man-made jetty called Jetty Island. We had to ride this little Gilligan-esque ferry to get out there:




It was a thrilling three minute boat ride. Then we got to the island for our day at the beach and it was...drumroll please...

Low tide!

But still...a day at the beach? I'm not complaining.

We also visited the Boeing Museum of Flight this week. Isn't it inspiring that in under one century mankind went from flying like this...

...to flying like this?

And we've got YouTube now, so that's something.

They pretty much cover all of those bases at the Boeing museum. We. LOVED. it. Definitely one of my favorite Seattle sites. We got to walk through Eisenhower, Kennedy, Lincoln, Johnson, and Nixon's Air Force One plane.

I probably skipped a president somewhere in that lineup. Sorry. I was distracted by this rotary phone onboard:

In case you can't read it, it says, "CAUTION This phone has no security provisions. Sensitive or classified material should not be discussed." So you're telling me there are no security provisions on this rotary phone?!

Moving on.

Chancho got to sit in the cockpit of an M-21 Blackbird, which at its fastest reached almost 2200 miles per hour.


I think the experience may have planted a seed. The boy left the gift shop with his own mini-Blackbird and it hasn't left his sight since.

For comparisons sake, here is the original (the world's only remaining, as a matter of fact):



This was an unexpected surprise (as opposed to an EXPECTED surprise):



Can you tell what it is? I tell you what, if you read this entire post I will reward you by solving the mystery for you at the end of it.

Oh, oh, oh! We can't forget the Concorde!

Now I've been inside of the Concorde and I can tell you with confidence that the Concorde is a plane that goes incredibly fast and looks exactly like a cramped plane on the inside.

I could talk about the airplane museum all day, I think. Someone should call me.

Oh yeah, that metal thing is a space station treadmill. Ta da! According to the docent, an astronaut used that treadmill to run the New York marathon along with the runners in New York. I'm thinking, if I were LIVING ON A SPACE STATION, forcryingoutloud, I'd call it good on the New Year's resolutions. But that's just me.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.4

5 comments:

Meegan Alfred said...

"I'm thinking, if I were LIVING ON A SPACE STATION, forcryingoutloud, I'd call it good on the New Year's resolutions. But that's just me."

Funniest. Line. Ever.

Have I mentioned recently that I'm jealous? Yeah. Jealous. In retribution, I'm going to Disneyland. Without you. Unless you can swing going next week, in which case you should totally come.

Paxton said...

when are you flying home? is school starting that soon? :-P
Now I have a strong desire to go to the boeing museum. one of the wonders I never got too :-)
Is the space treadmill upside down?

Also. I miss you.
Yes, I will call you soon so you can tell me all about the museum in (phone to phone) person :-)

Elise said...

The treadmill IS on the ceiling, which in space is sometimes the floor. Call me, Naomi!

Jenn said...

Oh, it has been nice to get my long over due dose of the haynes' junk! It has been too long.

I am impressed with how much fun you are having in dreary old Seatle :)

When do those plane tickets bring you back. you are missed? Did Macey get her hair cut?

Jenn said...

BTW there is no question that you are missed. that was a missed placed question mark, it should have read:

You are super dooper greatly missed!!!!!!!