Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Life comes at you fast...



So I was at the park with my three kids enjoying the sunshine and the perfect temperature this morning. It really was perfect-- the sky was clear, the sun was shining, 73 degrees. My kids weren't whining. Aahhh... In between making sure DJ didn't fall down the stairs and Macey didn't sit on anyone, I turned around to see this mysterious '93 Honda Accord (I'm pretty sure it was a '93 because my first car was a '92 and they are almost identical, also I am an automotive expert) creeping down the shoulder of the road suspiciously. "Suspicious," I thought to myself, so I kept an eye on it. I don't know how long I was watching the car before I finally realized that there wasn't actually anyone driving it. Once I realized it, the car was also gaining momentum and heading into traffic so I began yelling, "HEY! Whose car is that?!" People were looking at me like I was insane. Cars were swerving out of the way of the driverless Honda. I continued yelling "WHOSE CAR IS THAT?!" and people continued to look at me like I was nuts. Until they heard the crash. The car had rolled down the block and into a Dodge Durango that was parked at the rec center on the opposite side of the street. "Bummer," I thought to myself as I pictured the poor lady who was probably in the rec center, running on the treadmill, thinking about buying herself a new outfit when she was done. That's just bad luck, huh?




Last week I felt just like the owner of that Durango. Life comes at you fast. I took a pregnancy test on Wednesday, for the usual reason. DJ and I were doing what we could to prevent a new baby from joining our family, if you catch my drift, but I took the test anyway just to be sure. Just be sure because we had already decided that we weren't quite ready for another baby, even though we wanted one. So we were going to wait a little while. And everyone in heaven is laughing at us right now. (I think this is a common theme for us.) I still cannot believe that that second pink line showed up. One minute I was making lunch, wondering what was going to be on the next episode of The Office, and the next minute I was yelling, "what the hey?!" and thinking about how I will possibly take four kids to the grocery store, the oldest of whom will only be five. Thinking, "that's why I've been craving pepper jack cheese!" Thinking about having yet another c-section, how I will chase after three other kids in the meantime, how I REALLY need to get serious about potty training Olivia. And then I thought about it some more. I am so totally excited! I LOVE babies! Sure, they turn into two-year-olds eventually, but they are so cute and soft and sweet before that! I'll sleep when I'm in my thirties-- I can handle another baby right now!




So now a week has gone by and I've had a chance to let the idea become reality. I can smell everything (including the cigarette smoke of the person two cars away from me), every calorie I eat is clinging to my body like a plecostomus, and I feel like I'm dragging soggy beach towels around with me on my feet. I'm pregnant! Only seven and a half months to go!

3 comments:

Monna said...

You think you will sleep when you are in your thirties?! Think again.... Congrats Elise!

Roth Family said...

Congratulations Elise! I remember when you had your 1st and 2nd. They grow up so fast. Mine are getting big really fast. Anyways, Congratulations!!!

Kathy Habel said...

Congratulations! I miss having your girls in nursery! It's just not the same with out Olivia in her yellow dress!