Friday, October 18, 2013

Austin love.

If I have learned anything in my travels it is that surviving in an unfamiliar environment means finding something to love about where you are, no matter where you are.

For example, Seattle: hated the rain, loved the blackberries, the Olympic Peninsula, and the hippies.

I love donuts. I especially love the donuts of Austin.

I have discovered that eating donuts staves off homesickness. Let's hope that shopping for larger pants staves off homesickness as well.

We have been in Austin for two weeks and I have gone on a non-comprehensive donut bakery tour. Our first stop:

Gourdough's Big. Fat. Donuts. truck:
This donut truck serves some seriously heart-stopping masterpieces. For example, the Fat Elvis - a fresh-fried donut with grilled bananas, honey, and honest-to-goodness whole strips of bacon on top. Or what I ordered, the Sara's Joy - a donut with chocolate and coconut cream filling, sprinkled with coconut, and accompanied by choirs of singing angels. Kind of heavenly.
Next up was Round Rock Donuts. Rumor has it this place was on "Man vs Food."

I think this is why:

I have never been one to make sweeping, hyperbolic declarations. Ever. I would never do that.

But these donuts are the BEST DONUTS IN THE ENTIRE HISTORY OF DONUTS

And not just because there are the size of an innertube. They are everything a donut should be. Warm, soft, fluffy, maybe laced with addictive chemicals. So delicious.

In other news, we have done a little touring of this new city of ours. One of Austin's "things" is food trucks. They are everywhere. And they are kind of like yard sales in their unpredictability. You never know when they're going to be open or if they're going to be any good. But if you see one you have to stop and find out because otherwise the curiosity WILL kill you. 

The following one was not my favorite. You know those yard sales where all they're selling is dusty VHS tapes and mauve yarn? This was the food truck equivalent:
This one isn't a food truck, it's the state capitol building. 
I love the architecture and the fact that it is taller than the United States capitol building. Why, you ask? Because Texas, that's why.

Lastly, I love that our new school is within pleasant walking distance of our new house:

I kinda love this Texas place.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

ahhh, I am happy and sad at the same time. Happy for you that you are happy where you are. Sad for me that you don't hate it so much that you will immediately move back here.

Tawny said...

I am, glad you like Austin... Although i am a little upset that now I REALLY want a DOUGHNUT!!
WHAT!!
I really liked hanging out with Kari(sp) at the park. I also love that Coop and Annie have the same class!!

Paxton said...

Glad you are finding some happy! Be you seen the bat bridge yet? It is awe inspiring! But see it from a distance, otherwise you will get pooped on.... We
Earned that from experience ;-)

Unknown said...

As a native Texan, I'm ashamed to say I've not yet experienced the wonders of my state capitol. But hey, at least I now know where my first stop will be. By the way? "I love the architecture and the fact that it is taller than the United States capitol building. Why, you ask? Because Texas, that's why." That's the best way to describe anything in this state. Welcome to Texas!

Halo BW said...

Wooow the donuts look soo yummy

https://www.cekaja.com/info/7-arti-mimpi-bertemu-orang-yang-sudah-meninggal/