Monday, July 22, 2013

isa-Lay

This is my sister, Lisa. She is the best aunt named Lisa that my kids have ever had. They adore her. She is a party animal. Like, every time we visit her there are manicures, pedicures, Legos and dogs and a bunny and frogs to play with, movies to watch, and a bowl full of Wintergreen Lifesavers to eat. And then there was that one time last week when she made me get my eyebrows threaded, but we won't talk about that blip on her otherwise stellar sister record.

Her house has this completely ridiculous, gorgeous lawn that she mows every week. She let Chancho "help" a little:

Speaking of ridiculous things, and speaking of Lisa, here is a picture that I cannot find it in myself to be ashamed of:
These pictures were taken at the Mythic Creatures exhibit at the Frazier History Museum in downtown Louisville, where I was disappointed to learn that unicorns have never existed. Spoiler alert: Neither has Sasquatch, the Loch Ness monster, mermaids, cyclops, dragons, or Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy. They are all mythical creatures - stunning mythical creatures, some of whom have ten thousand pounds per year - but still mythical.

Do not be alarmed, this next picture taken on a green screen. Dragons are not real. Thanks for killing the dream, Frazier Museum.
Remember how I said that Lisa is the party aunt? She recently took my girls to a Cincinnati Reds game that was not rained out. Their seats were close enough to smell the B.O. of each individual Reds player.
 We spend far too much time doing this every summer:
But thanks to all of our pool time my kids can swim like little fishies. Tess dives like a pro and she is actually really fast. I can't out-swim her anymore. I have tried.

Finally, this:
Those mirrors are not doing my hips any favors.

I can't believe that I am going to sign off with that picture, but that's all I've got for you today, folks. Until next time--

See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya!

(Maybe I would. Are you rich?)

(Or do you at least have an annual pass to Disneyland?)

(We'll be in touch.)

1 comment:

ChristyLou said...

Sorry to comment bomb your blog, but I really wanted to make sure you see this comment I made on your article in the St. G newspaper. I was enjoying the humor of your breastfeeding article very much...and then I got to the prostitution comment. I volunteer with women who are arrested for prostitution and many of them are doing this work because they were sexually abused or sold for sex by their parents at tender ages not much older than breastfeeding babies. Some of them are still be forced to sell their bodies by people who are using them in a form of modern day slavery. They are trapped in a lifestyle that will statistically get them raped, beaten, or murdered. They are also very strong women, who have survived much, and when they receive the love and support that we all need, they make changes that would astound you. You seem like a family-centered, Christian woman (from a quick look over your blog) and I would encourage you to learn more about women who live along the outskirts of society, like women engaged in prostitution, and perhaps their circumstances will touch your heart. They need advocates, not humor directed at their expense. I love these women, or I wouldn't have spent precious time during my toddler's nap to share this with you. Here is a link to a video that was done by BYU Turning Point that talks about an organization that I volunteer with that serves women leaving lives on the street and starting anew through the support of a loving community: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_y4BniKBso It's a short, but powerful clip that may change the way you look at everything. I'm not sharing this to make you feel bad or give you any kind of set-down, but rather because you have a strong voice in your writing and the women I serve could really use an advocate like you! Christy Grigg christy1826@gmail.com

PS-Are you LDS?