Saturday, June 15, 2013

Giraffes. The same at every zoo.

I feel guilty about not putting anything new on this blog lately. Not guilty enough to do anything about it, but still. Guilty. It is similar to the guilt that compels me to pay my power bill once every three months.
 
We have been enjoying Louisville and Cincinnati immensely. Prepare yourselves for a massive photo-dump.
 
We have been swimming.
And visiting the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory, which was far more entertaining than one might think.
 
"Don't they just run a slab of wood through a lathe and that's that?" you are thinking.
 
Yes, that is what they do, but there is also a life-sized figure Babe Ruth, as well as a model of Wrigley Field fashioned entirely out of Legos. And at the end of the tour everyone receives a mini Louisville Slugger, which at first I thought was awesome. Now I think that all of my children are equipped with weapons.
And then we swam some more, this time in Ohio:

And then we hit the Louisville Zoo, which was basically the same as every other zoo in America, except that they have a very unexcitable albino-looking alligator or something. There is no time for the reading of educational plaques when you are herding five children through a hot zoo. They also had this sweet VW van. My dream ride.
And some giraffes, which looked strangely similar to every other giraffe I've ever seen. I am boycotting zoos. Let's mix things up, zookeepers.
We swam some more. Chancho loves these torpedo diving toys.
Today we spent the day in Cincinnati with my sister. We went to a church picnic slash circus and our children got to ride this elephant:
There has also been rollerskating. Did you know that the culture of strapping four wheels under your shoes and skating around to pop music is still alive and well in Cincinnati? My sister Lisa (the uncontested party aunt) and I have been taking turns having cousin sleepovers and this is what she did with our girls last night:
I am sad that I missed it; it would've been fun to reminisce. It has been a while since I've had a concussion.

Busy weeks. So far we love Kentucky, but have eaten a shockingly small amount of fried chicken. This must be remedied. Tune in next time for a fried chicken story and the most bizarre touristy thing we've done yet.

No comments: